meet fiona flamingo!
Flamingos are masters of balance - something vestibular patients strive for! Fiona Flamingo is VeDA's Balance Awareness Week Ambassador. We hope she will travel the world with you raising awareness about vestibular disorders.
Take Fiona Flamingo with you...
...to work, school, the park, a concert, hiking, biking, or just sitting in a coffee shop. Have a party and get all your friends together to flaunt Fiona Flamingo!
Take a picture and post it publicly on your social media pages with the hashtag #balanceawarenessweek and a message about why raising awareness for vestibular disorders is important to you (sample messages below).
TWO winners will receive a pair of migraine glasses from Axon Optics, which offer migraine relief and light sensitivity relief using precision-tinted lenses.
How to win:
Share your photo publicly* on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #balanceawarenessweek and email your photo to [email protected] by September 21st.
*Note: you must make your post "public" and not just share with friends for your photo to be accessible to the judging committee.
Have fun with it!
Here are some ideas for a winning photo:
- Cut out the Fiona Flamingo on this sheet (pdf) and take a selfie with it – try a flamingo pose or pink accessories!
- Take a group photo! The more, the merrier. Bonus points if everyone in the photo has their own Fiona Flamingo!
- Head to the zoo and take pictures of real-life flamingos!
- Got any of those plastic lawn flamingos? PERFECT opportunity.
- Your imagination is the limit!
Remember, for your entry to be valid, you must share your photo:
- To Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram
- With #balanceawarenessweek
- Your post must be public*
How to get your Fiona Flamingo:
- Email us at [email protected]. Include your full name and mailing address.
- Print your own! Download a PDF.
- Find a local flamingo! Perhaps the local zoo has a flamingo flamoyance, or your neighbors have a plastic one on their lawn. Stage your photo on location.
- As many as 35% of adults aged 40 years or older have experienced some form of vestibular dysfunction and I am one of them. Vestibular disorders result when disease or injury affects those parts of the inner ear and brain that control balance and spatial orientation. Visit https://vestibular.org to learn more. #balanceawarenessweek
- I have a vestibular disorder that has dramatically affected my life. I learned to cope with the help of the VeDA. Many people go months or years without getting help. I want to make sure no one suffers alone by helping @vestibulardisorders raise awareness during #balanceawarenessweek!
- Dizziness+imbalance+vertigo=vestibular disorder. Learn more: https://vestibular.org. #balanceawarenessweek @vestibularveda
- Vertigo, dizziness & imbalance are debilitating. Simply standing can be a challenge. Learn more from @vestibularveda. #balanceawarenessweek
- Meet Fiona Flamingo! She's a pro at balancing on one foot, but many people with dizziness and balance disorders can barely stand on two feet! I'm raising awareness about vestibular disorders during #balanceawarenessweek. @vestibularveda Please share!
- Did you know that a group of flamingos is called a flamboyance? Fiona Flamingo and I are raising awareness about the debilitating effects of vestibular disorders during #balanceawarenessweek. @vestibularveda Learn more at https://vestibular.org.