Join Cheryl Wylie, vestibular physiotherapist, in this 3 hour course titled Beyond BPPV – Understanding Vestibular Rehabilitation.
This online course will take your vestibular knowledge a step beyond the classic BPPV condition, where you will learn about the most common conditions that cause vestibular dysfunction and gain an understanding of vestibular rehabilitation.
When we look at a typical caseload of vestibular physiotherapists, we see two diagnoses most often over any others: Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and Unilateral Vestibular Hypofunction (UVH).
This course will focus on the latter, along with its counterpart, Bilateral Vestibular Hypofunction (BVH). UVH and BVH result in reduced function of the vestibular system in either one or both ears.
Patients typically report dizziness, vertigo, and imbalance along with reduced quality of life. The good news is that many of these patients are candidates for vestibular rehabilitation, so gaining an understanding of how to assess and implement a vestibular rehabilitation program will allow you to greatly impact their recovery.
During this course, we will:
- Review the anatomy and physiology of the vestibular system in relation to UVH and BVH
- Discuss the primary causes of UVH and BVH including vestibular neuritis, vestibular labyrinthitis, and ototoxicity
- Go over the signs and symptoms of UVH and BVH comparing their presentation to BPPV
- Learn about the Vestibular Ocular Reflex (VOR) and how it is affected by vestibular hypofunction
- Complete a vestibular assessment without any specialty equipment (e.g. vestibular goggles, VNG equipment, or balance assessment platforms) including VOR testing, balance and gait assessments and motion sensitivity testing
- Learn the concepts of vestibular rehabilitation, including specific vestibular exercises that can be found on Embodia and how to implement them
What is Included:
- Sample Patient Vestibular Intake Questionnaire
- Sample Practitioner Vestibular Assessment Template
- Eye Charts for Dynamic Visual Acuity Testing
- PDFs of all recommended Subjective Outcome Measures
- PDFs of all recommended Objective Outcome Measures
Who is this Course For?
This online course is intended for physiotherapists, occupational therapists, chiropractors, kinesiologists, athletic therapists, PTA/OTAs and anyone else in the healthcare industry who has an interest in vestibular rehabilitation. Vestibular and concussion therapists who are looking to understand Embodia’s vestibular exercise platform, education material, and resources will also find this of value.
Interested in Learning more about BPPV?
Check out the following:
An Interactive BPPV Resource Tool
Healing Vertigo is an App designed to walk you through the assessment and treatment of BPPV. It uses the same patient-directed videos and treatment logic flow discussed in this webinar and resource package, making it a seamless resource for you and your patients. Use it as a practitioner treatment guide with your BPPV patients, or recommend it to you patient’s post-treatment for self-management of this condition. It reduces the challenge of BPPV treatment significantly, and gives you and your patients more confidence in taking on this condition.
Connect with Cheryl anytime to ask questions, clarify points, or just discuss Vestibular Therapy!
Cheryl Wylie: [email protected]