Clear all

Intratympanic steroid injection

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@isismadec)
Very Active Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone had this?  I am considering it, would like to know your experience and if it helped you at all. 

(@ptdemers)

I wanted to answer Dragonslayer about the middle ear injections. Wish I wasn't so late and I hope this helps someone else. She was five mo ago... but yes, I did that. Yes. My doctor who performed the injections had patience, a nice manner about him, soft voice, and a steady hand. I was told not to swallow or the meds/steroids would be lost down my throat. I decided to lull myself to doze. You do not swallow when you doze. I actually fell asleep almost every time after the first time when I swallowed maybe 15 minutes thru the waiting period of 30 minutes. the taste in my throat was terrible. Most of it remained in my middle to soak into the canal.  He had said about 30% of people nationwide find it helps them. I was one of the 70% but I was positional vertigo, BPPV not Meniere's. After that I dozed and my husband kept people quiet while I was laying on my side, zoning out.

There were two (dumb) moments of foolish humor: Twice a nurse poked her head in to ask (ME) how are you doing? Okay?   I was not supposed to answer, or talk, or swallow!   I ignored them.   Never swallowed again after that. The injections were in the same hole each time so there is only one scar on my eardrum. Others have seen it who have looked at my eardrum. It healed over. The miracle of the body.

I will say that he had warned me that when he numbed my eardrum I might not like it. I took it in stride. It reminded me of doing a belly hacker into a pool as a kid - He said later that some of his patient's called it Satan's Spit. I couldn't agree. It was no where near what that conjures up - as a child who had bad tonsils and adenoids in 5th grade, I knew ear pain and the numbing was like the pool jumping and hitting water hard. I decided to take everything in stride. It worked for me. I was relaxed and decided, in the quiet of the office, I could use the rest. So, I rested on my side, and breathed slow and gentle. I deliberately put myself into the doze mode.  I never did ask my husband if I snored, if I actually slept. I had five visits every three days. If this procedure is known to help your medical  situation, don't be afraid of it. Take it in stride. Breathe slow, regular and snooze in the office. Why not. We all deserve a little rest. We are going through a lot for a lot of the balance of the day. You take care, and be good to yourself. Pat

ReplyQuote
(@ptdemers)

It was not easy to figure out how to reply. I almost failed... Wish it were more blatant, step 1 if you haven't signed in, step 2, whatever that was. etc.

ReplyQuote
(@betth)

Posted by: @isismadec

Has anyone had this?  I am considering it, would like to know your experience and if it helped you at all. 

My doctor was thinking about giving me this but hasn't done it yet

ReplyQuote
(@kelliezollars)

@betth My answer is probably too late for you, but the series of injections really helped me about two years ago.  I am in California.  It is usually a series of three shots given 30 days apart, though this may vary.  I only needed two shots.   I had been so miserably dizzy for 2-3 months before that, and these brought me back to being able to function normally.  Well, Meniere's disease "normal."   It was painful for a few seconds, but I was lucky and did not have any side effects right after the injection.  I would recommend having someone drive you home since everyone's experiences are different.

ReplyQuote
(@kilberandy)

I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to share my experience with intratympanic steroid injections. I've had them a few times for tinnitus and hearing loss, and I have to say they've been really helpful for me.

ReplyQuote
(@hannahschubert)

There are a lot of nuances to tell on this topic. Intratympanic steroid injection really helped me, but it is so individualistic.

ReplyQuote